Why I Won't Be Using A Mannequin

When I first made my supply list, a mannequin was high on the list. I had it classified as a "Need" item. Then as I worked my budget more, it was looking a little tight- every mannequin I liked didn't fit in the amount I had budgeted. Of course, this is always how it goes, isn't it?
I needed it to be an attractive mannequin too, since my LuLaRoom is also a guest bedroom and my husband has been adamant about keeping the guest bedroom. I was also stressing over the size- go too small and you have to pin the large sizes excessively- which as a plus size gal, I'm not a fan of, it's misleading.
I had found a video of a husband & wife consultant team (waaaaayyy up in my up-line) showing how they take photos with a mannequin- looked super easy and a nice way to make it move along faster. See the video here:

Watched this and thought, "I can totally do that! Even without the hubby helping!"

Then my up-line had a live training last Wednesday and I asked about the mannequin- what size should I get? Is it worth it? Is it necessary? The response surprised me:

"I didn't start with one and it was fine, I added one as I got more successful and found that my customers only liked it for dresses. I went back to putting shirts and skirts on a hanger and hook. I still do outfits on my mannequin but that's really all I use it for."

Wow, I could get by without one? Customers prefer it? Why am I stressing over finding one then? While it may seem silly, it was like I had a weight off my shoulders when I realized I could stop looking for a decently priced, attractive mannequin. One problem solved!

But NOW I had to decide my hanging method- I didn't want to go something like a command hook (totally feasible though- no wall damage and cheap to replace if it broke or fell off) and didn't want something super elaborate. I thought about a door knob- a decorative one, to add some pizzazz. I had an awesome idea of a unicorn head and searched all over Etsy with no luck finding one. I had a Hobby Lobby trip planned to find some good LuLaRoom artwork anyways so decided to look in their door knob section. They had some pretty ones, but nothing that jumped out at me as a "must have, spend $ on me now" kind of thing. I went through every aisle of the store, as usual, looking for awesome hidden treasures- not required to be for LuLaRoe of course- and stumbled upon this baby:


It looks a little like a large-scale paper towel holder, just doesn't come apart. When I found it up on the shelf I may or may not have exclaimed my excitement and done a little happy dance. Which may or may not have freaked out the other woman in the aisle with me. Oh well! I had found my photo hook- it was a moment to celebrate!
Reasons Why I Love This So Much:
  1. Decorative, not plain
  2. Unobtrusive for my guest bedroom wall
  3. Gives me room to hang more than one hanger- hello outfits!
  4. I can still drape leggings over this without having to put them on a hanger first
  5. The price tag- $10.99!
  6. The FINAL price tag- $6.59 with the usual Hobby Lobby 40% off coupon!
Important to note: The velvet hangers I got did not *technically* have telescoping heads. I say technically because I was able to make them turn so that I can use this, but there's a slight popping noise that didn't exactly sound good. Didn't come loose and I tried pulling the head off the hanger after doing this and couldn't get it to detach. Time will of course tell with this method, but I feel confident in the quality of the hangers I purchased.

Everything happens for a reason and making my decision to look for a door knob instead of a mannequin ended up saving me $40. Plus I left there feeling fantastic- there's no better feeling than saving money! Except maybe snagging your LLR unicorn of course :)


Comments

Popular Posts