Photographing Inventory

Photographing inventory is one of the most time consuming things about being a consultant. If you're going to sell online, taking good pictures and providing good information to customers is vitally important.
My personal preference as a customer is to have a full photo of the item as well as a closeup of the print and/or fabric texture. I also like it when the consultant's name- or group name if it doesn't contain their name already- is on the image as well. That makes it easier for me to find the consultant again if I save the photo and want to get it later (providing it hasn't sold of course!).

I came across this image from another local consultant and it upset me- as a consultant but also a customer.


At first glance I thought this was a Monroe, since I have one in a very similar fabric and color. But then I scrolled down a bit and didn't see fringe- which makes this a Lindsay instead. If the consultant had decided to zoom in a bit more on the overall photo, the bottom of the kimono top would not have been showing- leaving it to question. This could also be ANYONE'S photo.
And please, don't just assume that everyone knows the LuLaRoe styles. Not everyone knows the style names and what they look like. There have been several instances where I can't tell if it's a Nicole or Ana dress because of how the photo is cropped (they have the same top). Make it easy on your customers ladies!
AND don't assume that everyone knows the prices! Trust me, the more questions you can answer for a customer right away, without them needing to message you, the better. You'll get enough messages and emails as it is!
This is what my images look like:

Overall photo, close up, label with style, price, size and my name. I am not by any means saying that my way is perfect, or the only way to do it. I simply hit all the points I like and find important.

*I use my phone camera, Android, and PicStitch free version. There are several apps for iPhone that will put all of this information on your image directly*

There are a thousand different ways to photograph, label and upload your inventory and the beauty of this business is you can choose your own method to do all of that. But please, take something away from this post and at least don't assume your customers know what a style looks like or costs!

Comments

Popular Posts